Always touched by great human achievements and an overzealous aunt.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Circular Quay

Pardon the pun but it has come full circle...well, for me at least...

First of all, I finally went jogging again, after quite a long while. It's been freezing most of the time in Sydney right now. So when it got a little warmer a couple of days ago, I went for a run and swim. Pity I don't have a bike here, or else my triathlon training would start in earnest... No kidding guys, I really want to!

The last time I wrote about the Socceroos, they had just qualified for the World Cup. Six months later, lo and behold, they have qualified again, for the second round of the World Cup Finals! It was an outrageous 93 mins of footballing drama against Croatia. Enough to keep people talking for more than 93 months...wait, make that 93 years!

The Socceroos needed only a draw against their friendly rivals, although that friendship didn't exactly carry over to action on the pitch. There were 3 red cards and numerous petty fouls and tussles. So much went on in the match that even the referee lost track of his card count and actually issued a player 3 yellow cards before sending him off. The Australian no. 2 keeper was bent on causing a few Australians hearts to stop beating. It was emotionally draining to say the least! In the end, the result caused unimaginable euphoria across the country. And I was lucky enough to be at Circular Quay to celebrate with the Socceroos fans. The scenes of jubilation during the match were just as incredible as scenes after. The final whistle went off right after daybreak. Aussie fans drapped in green and gold waved flags, sounded horns and screamed themselves hoarse. Even the Premier of NSW joined in. Wonderful scenes of celebration, unbridled joy in the end, a fitting finale to the first round of games for the Socceroos, as Hiddink prepares to face the Italians again for the second successive World Cup.

My stay in Sydney has coincided with the rise of Australian Football, the start of their new nation-wide competition, the A-League, and their participation in the World Cup after 32 years of wait. I can't ask for a better opportunity to experience the excitement here. And I hope my contributions haven't been in vain, however tiny they may be.

As I prepare to return home, the Socceroos are heading back to Kaiserslautern, the scene of their historic first win in the World Cup Finals against Japan. They will face the Italians in the second round and I wish them the best of luck.

While another chapter in my life comes to a close, I am eternally grateful to all my friends and family who have made this experience possible. Mates at St. Michael's College especially... Thanks guys! I'm still at the heart of Sydney right now, but I know my heart would ache a bit when I recall the fond memories. I'll be missing the kind friends I've made and i'll have to admit, the cool weather as well. And boy would that sun-kissed tangerine skyline during sunset take your breath away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home